|Andrew Rollins, Ph.D.
Dr. Rollins' research interests are in the application of advanced optics and photonics technologies for imaging and characterization of biological samples, with particular emphasis on detection of early disease and monitoring of therapy in human tissues. His research program focuses on advancing the state of the art in imaging of tissue microstructure and function using coherent optical interactions with biological samples. The technique of optical coherence tomography (OCT) is the primary basis of his research. Current applications of OCT imaging under investigation include detection of early cancer in the gastrointestinal tract, biometry and diagnostic imaging in the eye, and imaging of cardiac architecture in animal models of arrythmogenic conditions and of cardiac development. Current development projects include imaging blood flow in living patients and animals using Doppler OCT, and developing novel functional and molecular imaging methods of spectroscopic OCT. Dr. Rollins has active collaborations with clinical and scientific investigators several institutions, including Case Western Reserve University, University Hospitals of Cleveland, the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Duke University, and University of Rochester.
- [I] H. Wang, W. Kang, T. Carrigan, A. Bishop, N. Rosenthal, M, Arruda, A. M. Rollins, "In vivo intracardiac OCT imaging through percutaneous access: Towards image guided radio-frequency ablation," Journal of Biomedical Optics Letters 16, 110505 (2011). DOI:10.1117/1.3656966
- [I] W. Kang, H. Wang, Z. Wang, M. W. Jenkins, G. A. Isengberg, A. Chak, A. M. Rollins, "Motion artifacts associated with in vivoendoscopic OCT images of the esophagus," Optics Express 19, 20722-20735 (2011).
- [I] D. Chamié, Z. Wang, H. Bezerra, A. M. Rollins, M. A. Costa, "Optical Coherence Tomography and Fibrous Cap Characterization,"Current Cardiovascular Imaging Reports 4, 276-283 (2011).
- [I] N. Suzuki, G. Guagliumi, H. G. Bezerra, V. Sirbu, N. Rosenthal, G. Musumeci, A. Aprile, H. Wang, H. Kyono, S. Tahara, D. I. Simon, A. Rollins, M. A. Costa, "The impact of an eccentric intravascular ImageWire during coronary optical coherence tomography imaging,"EuroIntervention 6, 963-9 (2011). doi: 10.4244/EIJV6I8A167
- [I] H. Wang, W. Kang, H. Zhu, G. MacLennan, A. M. Rollins, "Three-Dimensional Imaging of Ureter with Endoscopic Optical Coherence Tomography," Urology 77, 1254-1258 (2011). doi:10.1016/j.urology.2010.11.044
- F. Prati, A. Di Giorgio, M. W. Jenkins and A. M. Rollins, , "Intracoronary optical coherence tomography, basic theory and image acquisition techniques," International Journal of Cardiovascular Imaging 27, 251-258 (2011).
- [I] C.P.Fleming, N Rosenthal, A. M. Rollins, M. S. Arruda “First in vivo Real-Time Imaging of Endocardial RF Ablation by Optical Coherence Tomography - OCT: Implications on Safety and The Birth of “Electro-Structural” Substrate Guided Ablation,”Innovations in Cardiac Rhythm Management, Vol. 2, No. 3 (2011).
- [I] B. Garita, M. Jenkins, M. Han, C. Zhou, M. VanAuker, A. M. Rollins, M. Watanabe, , J. G. Fujimoto and K. Linask, "Blood Flow Dynamics of One Cardiac Cycle and Relationship to Mechanotransduction and Trabeculation during Heart Looping," American Journal of Physiology - Heart and Circulatory Physiology 300, H879-H891(2011).
- [I] M. Ford, A. Sinha Roy, Z. Hu, A. M. Rollins, W. J. Dupps, “Optical Coherence Elastography of the Cornea”, accepted pending revision, Journal of Biomedical Optics (2010).
- [I] W. Kang, X. Qi, N. J. Tresser, M. Kareta, J. L. Belinson, A. M. Rollins, “Diagnostic efficacy of computer extracted image features in optical coherence tomography of the pre-cancerous cervix,” Medical Physics 38, 107-113 (2011). Feature of the Week: 2/27/11: Optical Coherence Tomography News (Feb 28 2011)
|•||Wang H, Pan Y, Rollins AM, Extending the effective imaging range of spectral-domain optical coherence tomography using a fiber optic switch, Optics Letters 33, 2632-2634, 2008.|
|•||Qi X, Pan Y, Hu Z, Kang W, Willis JE, Olowe K, Sivak Jr MV, Rollins AM, Automated quantification of colonic crypt morphology using integrated microscopy and optical coherence tomography, Journal of Biomedical Optics 13, 054055, 2008.|
|•||Hucker WJ, Ripplinger CM, Fleming CP, Fedorov VV, Rollins AM, Efimov IR, Bimodal Biophotonic Imaging of the Structure-Function Relationship in Cardiac Tissue, Journal of Biomedical Optics 13, 054012, 2008.|
|•||Gargesha M, Jenkins MW, Rollins AM, Wilson DL, Denoising and 4D visualization of OCT images, Optics Express 16, 12313-12333, 2008.|
|•||Fleming, CP, Ripplinger CM, Webb B, Efimov IR, Rollins AM, Quantification of cardiac fiber orientation using optical coherence tomography, Journal of Biomedical Optics Letters 13, 030505, 2008.|
|•||Wang H, Jenkins MW, Rollins AM, A combined multiple SLED broadband light source at 1300 nm for high resolution optical coherence tomography, Optics Communications 281, 1896-1900, 2008.|
|•||Hu Z, Pan Y, Rollins AM, Analytical model of spectrometer-based two-beam spectral interferometry, Applied Optics 46, 8499-8505, 2007.|
|•||Hu Z, Rollins AM, Fourier domain optical coherence tomography with a linear-in-wavenumber spectrometer, Optics Letters 32, 3525-3527, 2007.|
|•||Jenkins MW, Chughtai OQ, Basavanhally AN, Watanabe Mand Rollins AM, In vivo imaging of the embryonic heart using gated optical coherence tomography, Journal of Biomedical Optics 12, 030505, 2007.|
|•||Lin RC, Li Y, Tang M, McLain M, Rollins AM, Izatt JA, Huang D, Screening for Previous Refractive Surgery in Eye Bank Corneas Using Optical Coherence Tomography, Cornea 26, 594-599, 2007.|
|•||Jenkins MW, Adler DC, Gargesha M, Huber R, Rothenberg F, Belding J, Watanabe M, Wilson DL, Fujimoto JG, Rollins AM, Ultrahigh-speed optical coherence tomography imaging and visualization of the embryonic avian heart using a buffered Fourier domain mode locked laser, Optics Express 15, 6251-6267, 2007.|
|•||Wang H, Fleming C, Rollins AM, Ultrahigh-resolution optical coherence tomography at 1.15 m using photonic crystal fiber with no zero-dispersion wavelengths, Optics Express 15, 3085-3092, 2007.|
|•||Wang H, Rollins AM, Optimization of dual band continuum light source for ultrahigh resolution optical coherence tomography, Applied Optics 46, 1787-1794, 2007.|
|•||Jenkins MW, Patel P, Deng H, Montano MM, Watanabe M, Rollins AM, Phenotyping transgenic embryonic murine hearts using optical coherence tomography, Applied Optics 46, 1776-1781, 2007.|
|•||Bakri SJ, Singh AD, Lowder AY, Chalita MR, Li Y, Izatt JA, Rollins AM, Huang D, Imaging of Iris Lesions with High Speed Optical Coherence Tomography, Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers & Imaging 38, 27-34, 2007. (Joural cover image)|
|•||Pedersen CJ, Huang D, Shure MA, Rollins AM, Measurement of absolute flow velocity vector using dual-angle, delay-encoded Doppler optical coherence tomography, Optics Letters 32, 506-508, 2007.|
|•||Hu Z and Rollins AM, Theory of two beam interference with arbitrary spectra, Opt. Express 14, 12751-12759, 2006.|
|•||Thomas J, Wang J, Rollins AM, Sturm J, Comparison of corneal thickness measured with 1310nm optical coherence tomography, ultrasonic pachymetry and a scanning slit method, Journal of Refractive Surgery, 22, 671-678, 2006.|
|•||Qi X, Sivak MV, Isenberg G, Willis JE, Rollins AM, Computer-Aided Diagnosis of Dysplasia in Barrett’s Esophagus Using Endoscopic Optical Coherence Tomography, Journal of Biomedical Optics, 11, 044010, 2006.|
|•||Jeon SW, Shure MA, Baker KB, Huang D, Rollins AM, Chahlavi A, Rezai AR, A Feasibility Study of Optical Coherence Tomography for Guiding Deep Brain Probes, Journal of Neuroscience Methods, 154, 96-101, 2006.|