Enhancing Biotech research among NE Ohio Institutions
Case Western Reserve University (CWRU) has been awarded a National Science Foundation grant to enable a groundbreaking partnership for regional innovation that could serve as a blueprint for economic development nationwide. The Partnership for Innovation (PFI) seeks to construct a relationship among CWRU, Lorain County Community College, and technology-based economic development organizations with complementary interests and capabilities to develop new enterprises that will create high-tech jobs in the region and provide workers with the skills required to fill them.
The effort to obtain the grant was led by the Department of Biomedical Engineering (BME) in Case's School of Engineering, the Coulter-Case Translational Research Partnership within BME, and NorTech.
Request for Proposals is now open!
We are pleased to announce that the RFP for the PFI is now open, with proposals due June 1, 2011. Complete RFP instructions are provided here.
An MS Word Version of the application form is is located here.
Noteworthy dates are provided below.
- RFP Opens: April 1, 2011
- Business coaching phase: April 1 through May 31. During this pahse, potential applicants are encouraged to take advantage of coaches who are available to help faculty answer business related questions on the proposal application (e.g. questions relating to unmet needs, competitive landscape, market size, etc.). Contact email@example.com for more information. There is no cost to applicants for this service.
- RFP Closes: June 1, 2011
- Due diligence and review phase: June 1 through July 1, 2011; applicants may be contacted to supply further information during this time. Advisement phase: July 1 through August 15, 2011; awardees will work with their assigned entrepreneur-in-residence to devise an innovation team and amend the proposed work plan including details about specified tasks, timetable, meeting and reporting schedules, budget and projected milestones.
- Approval phase: By August 15, 2011, the oversight board will approve the amended work plan and proposed innovation team.
- Project launch date: August 15, 2011, soon after project launch, innovation teams will be required to attend an IP briefing session to apprise them of commercialization services and resources that may be valuable during the course of their respective projects.
- Engagement phase: August 15, 2011 to August 14, 2012; awardees will work with their innovation teams and closely with their entrepreneur-in-residence towards completion of their work plan. Revisions to the work plan should be made in consultation with the innovation team and should be submitted to the OB.
- Progress presentation: Mid-February, 2012; a mid-year presentation will be required of each innovation team.
- Advancement phase: August/September 2012; awardees will work with their entrepreneur-in-residence to complete a final report and presentation detailing the progress of the innovation project and plans for next steps and for attracting follow-on funding. Components of this report will include items such as: outcomes of specified tasks, milestones attained, expenditures, summary of market analysis (if conducted), estimation and justification of forecasted follow-on funding, collaborations/partnerships initiated and/or plans for initiating collaborations/partnerships.
- April 1, 2011, RFA Released
- June 1, 2011 Proposals Due
- August 1, 2011 Awards Announced