|Andrew Rollins, Ph.D.
Dr. Rollins' research interests are in the development and application of advanced biomedical optical technologies, especially optical coherence tomography (OCT), and including optical stimulation and imaging of electrophysiology. Current projects apply these technologies to the study of developmental cardiology and endoscopic imaging of cardiovascular disease and cancer.
- G. H. Karunamuni, S. Gu, M. R. Ford, L. M. Peterson, P. Ma, Y. T. Wang, A. M. Rollins, M. W. Jenkins and M. Watanabe,"Capturing structure and function in an embryonic heart with biophotonic tools" Frontiers in Physiology 5, article 351 (2014).
- G. H. Karunamuni, P. Ma, S. Gu, A. M. Rollins, M. W. Jenkins and M. Watanabe, "Connecting teratogen-induced congenital heart defects to neural crest cells and their effect on cardiac function," Birth Defects Research Part C: Embryo Today: Reviews 102, 227-250 (2014).
- J. P. Ehlers, S. K. Srivastava, D. Feiler, A. I. Noonan, A. M. Rollins, Y. K. Tao, "Integrative Advances for OCT-Guided Ophthalmic Surgery and Intraoperative OCT: Microscope Integration, Surgical Instrumentation, and Heads-Up Display Surgeon Feedback," PLOS ONE 9, e105224 (2014).
- A. Faramarzalian, D. Prabhu, A. Abdul-Aziz, W. Wang, D. Chamie, H. Yamamoto, Y. Fujino, S. Hawwa, N. P. Ziats, A. M. Rollins, D. L. Wilson, M. A. Costa, H. G. Bezerra, "Ex Vivo Cryoimaging for Plaque Characterization," JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging 7, 430-432 (2014).
- M. R. Ford, A. S. Roy, A. M. Rollins, W. J. Dupps, "Serial biomechanical comparison of edematous, normal and collagen crosslinked human donor corneas using optical coherence elastography," Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery 40, 1041-1047 (2014).
- X. Fu, Z. Wang, H. Wang, Y. T. Wang, M. W. Jenkins, A. M. Rollins, "Fiber-optic catheter-based polarization-sensitive OCT for radio-frequency ablation monitoring," Optics Letters 39 5066-9 (2014).
- P. Ma, Y. T. Wang, S. Gu, M. Watanabe, M. W. Jenkins, A. M. Rollins, "Three Dimensional Correction of Conduction Velocity in the Embryonic Heart using Integrated Optical Mapping and Optical Coherence Tomography," Journal of Biomedical Optics 19, 076004 (2014).
- Y. T. Wang, S. Gu, P. Ma, M. Watanabe, A. M. Rollins, M. W. Jenkins, "Optical Stimulation Enables Paced Electrophysiological Studies in Embryonic Hearts," Biomedical Optics Express 5, 1000-1013 (2014).
- G. Karunamuni, S. Gu, Y. Q. Doughman, L. Peterson, K. Mai, Q. McHale, M. Jenkins, K. Linask, A. M. Rollins and M. Watanabe, "Ethanol exposure alters early cardiac function in the looping heart: a mechanism for congenital heart defects?," American Journal of Physiology-Heart and Circulatory Physiology 306, H414-H421 (2014).
- L. M Peterson, S. Gu, M. W Jenkins, and A. M Rollins, "Orientation-independent rapid pulsatile flow measurement using dual-angle Doppler OCT," Biomedical Optics Express 5, 499-514 (2014).
- A. R. Duke, M. W. Jenkins, H. Lu, J. M. McManus, H. J. Chiel and E. Duco Jansen, “Transient and selective suppression of neural activity with infrared light,” Sci. Rep., 3 2600 (2013).
- M. W. Jenkins, Y. T. Wang, Y. Q. Doughman, M. Watanabe, Y. Cheng, A. M. Rollins, "Optical pacing of the adult rabbit heart," Biomedical Optics Express 4, 1626-1635 (2013).
- Belinson SE, Ledford K, Rasool N, Rollins A, Wulan Na,Wang C, Rong X, Zhang W, Zhu YS, Tresser N, Wu RF, Belinson JL."Cervical Epithelial Brightness by Optical Coherence Tomography Can Determine Histological Grades of Cervical Neoplasia,"Journal of Lower Genital Tract Disease 17, 160-166 (2013).
- H. Lu, M. Gargesha, Z. Wang, D. Chamie, G. F. Attizani, T. Kanaya, S. Ray, M. A. Costa, A. M. Rollins, H. G. Bezerra, and D. L. Wilson, "Automatic stent detection in intravascular OCT images using bagged decision trees," Biomedical Optics Express 3, 2809-2824 (2012).
- L. M. Peterson, M. W. Jenkins, S. Gu, L. Barwick, M. Watanabe, A. M. Rollins, "4D shear stress maps of the developing heart using Doppler optical coherence tomography," Biomedical Optics Express 3, 3022-3032 (2012).
- D. Chamié, D. Prabhu, Z. Wang, H. Bezerra, A. Erglis, D. L. Wilson, A. M. Rollins, M. A. Costa, "Three-Dimensional Fourier-Domain Optical Coherence Tomography: Advantages and Future Development", Current Cardiovascular Imaging Reports5, 221-230 (2012).
- A. R. Duke, H. Lu, M. W. Jenkins, E. D. Jansen and H. J. Chiel, “Identifying and controlling sources of variability in hybrid opto-electrical neural stimulation,” J. Neural Eng. 9(3) pp. 036003
- S. Tahara, T. Morooka, Z. Wang, H. G. Bezerra, A. M. Rollins, D. I. Simon, M. A. Costa. "Intravascular optical coherence tomography detection of atherosclerosis and inflammation in murine aorta," in press, Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology 32, 1150-1157 (2012).
- C. M. Ambrosi, V. V. Fedorov, R. B. Schuessler, A. M. Rollins, I. R. Efimov, “Quantification of Fiber Orientation in the Canine Atrial Pacemaker Complex using Optical Coherence Tomography,” Journal of Biomedical Optics 17, 071309 (2012).
- M. W. Jenkins, M. Watanabe, A. M. Rollins, "Longitudinal Imaging of Heart Development with Optical Coherence Tomography," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Quantum Electronics 18, 1166-1175 (2012).
- Z. Wang, D. Chamie, H. G. Bezerra, H. Yamamoto, J. Kanovsky, D. L. Wilson, M. A. Costa, A. M. Rollins, "Volumetric Quantification of Fibrous Caps Using Intravascular Optical Coherence Tomography," Biomedical Optics Express 3, 1413-1426 (2012).
- S. Gu, M. W. Jenkins, L. M. Peterson, Y-Q. Doughman, A. M. Rollins, M. Watanabe, "Optical Coherence Tomography Captures Rapid Hemodynamic Responses to Acute Hypoxia in The Cardiovascular System of Early Embryos," Developmental Dynamics 241, 534-544 (2012) DOI: 10.1002/dvdy.23727.
- R. Silver, A. Helms, W. Fu, H. Wang, D. Diaconu, C. M. Loyd, A. M. Rollins, and N. L. Ward, "Using optical coherence tomography for the longitudinal noninvasive evaluation of epidermal thickness in a murine model of chronic skin inflammation," Skin Research and Technology 18, 225-231 (2012). DOI: 10.1111/j.1600-0846.2011.00558.x
- G. J. Tearney, et al, "Standards for Acquisition, Measurement, and Reporting of Intravascular OCT (IVOCT) Studies: A Consensus Report from the International Working Group for Intravascular OCT Standardization and Validation,"Journal of the American College of Cardiology 59, 1058-1072 (2012). doi:10.1016/j.jacc.2011.09.079